White Chocolate Sandwich
Why not have a go at this tasty Colin Fassnidge treat?
- To make the parfait, place the sugar into a saucepan and add 50ml water. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Place a sugar thermometer into the pan and boil until it reaches 118 degrees Celcius (soft ball stage)
- Put the egg yolks into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and with the motor running, gradually add the sugar syrup. Turn the speed back up to high and whisk until cool
- Break up the chocolate and place into a bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water (ensure the bottom of the bow is not touching the water). One softened, stir until melted and smooth. Add to the egg mixture and keep whisking until combined.
- Whip the cream in a large bowl to form soft peaks. Fold the cream through the egg and chocolate mixture one third at a time. Line a 30cmx25cmx5cm pan with a few layers of cling wrap. Pour the mixture into the tray and freeze overnight.
- Place a plastic chopping board in the freezer for 30mins. Turn the frozen mix out on to the chilled board and remove the cling wrap. Cut into 12 bars. Place on a tray lined with baking paper, cover with cling wrap and return to the freezer until needed
- For the dulce de leche, place the cans of condensed milk on their sides in a large saucepan and cover completely with water. Cover the pan with a lid and bring to the boil. Tilt the lid slightly and cook for 4 hours, topping the boiling water as needed (cans must be submerged at all times). Cool completely before opening the cans. Scoop into a bowl and chill. Just before serving whisk in the cream
- To make the chocolate crack, combine the orange juice, glucose and butter n a saucepan and bring to the boil. Mix the pectin through the sugar and then add to juice mixture. Bring back to the boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the hot liquid. Whisk the flour in slowly until smooth. Refrigerate for about 1 hour until the mix is a firm but spreadable consistency
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees Celcius. Divide the mix in half and spread out as thinly as possible onto 2 sheets of greaseproof paper. Place onto large baking trays and use a non-serrated knife to score 12 rectangles into each portion, slightly larger than the parfait bars. Bake for 8 mins. The mixture should bubble and go quite dark. Lif toff tray and leave to cool. It should be crisp enough to snap along scored lines. If not it will need a little longer in the oven.
- To assemble, place 1 piece of chocolate crack onto each serving plate. Top with a bar of parfait and pipe dulce de leche along the bar. Sandwich with another piece of chocolate crack, and pipe a dollop of the remaining dulce de leche alongside
- 185g caster sugar
- 15 egg yolks
- 350g white chocolate
- 900ml cream
- 225ml orange juice
- 60g liquid glucose
- 75g unsalted butter, chopped
- 5g pectin
- 180g plain flour
- 35g cocoa powder
Dulce De Leche
- 2x 390g cans condensed milk
- 50ml cream