Vegan Cauliflower Cheese With A Herb Crust
- Wrap the garlic in tinfoil and drizzle about 2 teaspoons of oil over it before sealing the top of the tinfoil. Bake it in a hot 170* oven for 40-50 minutes alongside the squash.
- To make the cheese sauce combine all ingredients in a blender until silky smooth. Season to taste. You can make this in advance and store refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Break your cauliflower into small florets and steam for 8-10 minutes before transferring to a casserole dish. Stir 4 tablespoons of the cauliflower water into the cheese sauce and pour it over the cauliflower. Stir to ensure all is well combined. Bake for 8 minutes at 190* and in the meantime make your topping.
- To make your herb crust combining the breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon zest and herbs, and season well.
- Pour in the oil and mix with a large fork or your fingers, until combined.
- Pour on top of your cauliflower cheese and grill for 3-4 minutes to add a crust - ensuring it doesn’t dry out.
- Add a final drizzle of oil before serving.
- 1 large head of Cauliflower - approx 800g
For the crust:
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 1tbsp chopped fresh basil
- A drizzle of truffle oil.
For the cheese sauce:
- 300 g Roasted peeled Butternut Squash.
- 20 g Roasted Garlic
- 120 g soaked cashew nuts
- 35g Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon of Miso Paste
- 1 1/2 Cups or 350 ml unsweetened Soy milk
- 1 olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper.
Luca De Marzio shares one of his pasta favourites; using fresh casarecce pasta and some deliciously fiery nduja sausage.