Tadka Daal - Tempered Lentil Curry
- Wash the dal a few times in water.
- Cover the dal with about 3 times the volume of water.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt and garlic. Cook until the dal is tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the whole red chillies and cumin seeds and when they crackle, add the chopped onion.
- Sauté onion until it is golden brown, then add green chillies, ginger and tomato.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, deggi mirch and water (about 2 tbsps ).
- When the water has evaporated and the oil has separated, the spices are ready. This will take about 5 minutes. Season it with salt. Add the contents of the saucepan to the cooked lentils.
- Finish with lemon juice and fresh coriander.
Note: You may replace the lentils with tinned chickpeas or legumes of your choice.
- 500g moong dal/ chana dal/ red lentils
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 garlic cloves, bruised with the back of a knife
- Salt to taste
- Water for boiling
- 3 tbsps sunflower oil
- 2 whole dried red chillies, broken in half
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 100g chopped tomato ( fresh better or you can use tinned as well)
- 1 ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Bunch of fresh coriander leaves
- Juice of ½ lemon