Punjabi Chickpea Curry
A high protein classic vegetarian recipe. Chickpea Curry is a wonderful vegan dish that can be served hot or cold, as a side dish or a main meal by itself. Chickpeas are combined with garlic, onion, tomato, herbs and spices and simmered until delicious and fragrant. Serve with rice or on its own - give it a go!
- Drain the water from the chickpea tins
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot add cumin & mustard seeds cook for 1 min then add chopped onions and Sauté until transparent, add coriander stakes, garlic ginger and fresh chilli
- Add a little more oil in the centre of the pan and add salt, garam masala and turmeric into the oil and dry cook for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes tin & tomato puree and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and cook for approximately 5 minutes or till you achieve a slightly thick gravy.
- Adjust the salt and turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves
- Serve with rice, pitta, naan or chapatis
- 2 x 400g Cans of Chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Green Chilli Peppers
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 ½ tsp of Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder (optional)
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 3 tbsp Coriander
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
- ½ Tin Coconut Milk
- I Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ tsp Salt (optional)