Pulao Rice with Onion & Cumin
- Wash the rice a few times in a big bowl of water, being careful not to break the grains. Basmati rice is very delicate. After washing, leave the rice to soak for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil, add the whole spices and cumin seeds and sauté.
- Add onions. Sauté until the onions become a light golden brown colour, then add the rice, stir and add water and salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and then simmer gently until the water disappears from the surface.
- Add a few knobs of butter on top (optional) and then cover the rice with a damp tea towel.
- Sit the lid on top and continue to cook on top of the hob on a low heat until the rice is tender, probably about 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot.
- IMPORTANT TIPS :
- It is very crucial to wash the rice until the water runs clear. it allows the impurities and unnecessary starch to drain out and you get perfect white rice.
- it is important to soak the rice as it allows the rice to cook evenly throughout.
- 500g basmati rice
- 1 litre water
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 15g cumin seeds
- 100g sliced onion
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
Luca De Marzio shares one of his pasta favourites; using fresh casarecce pasta and some deliciously fiery nduja sausage.