Parathas (Griddled Wholewhear Bread)
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add about two-thirds of the water and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add enough of the remaining water to give a soft dough, then turn out on to a work surface and knead for a few minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Return to the bowl and leave to rest for 15 minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
- Divide the dough into 5-6 pieces, shape them into balls and dust with a little flour.
- Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand and then your fingers, pressing it out on a floured surface, and then roll out into a 12cm disc.
- Brush a thin layer of ghee or melted butter on top and sprinkle with flour, then fold the disc in half. Apply another thin layer of ghee or butter and sprinkle with a little more flour over it, then fold in half once more to form a triangle. Press the triangle of dough firmly and roll out with a rolling pin, maintaining the shape.
- Bake the bread on a flat griddle. Once they are speckled with brown, brush both sides with ghee or butter and cook for another 30 seconds or so per side, until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ajwain or cumin seeds to make ajwaini or jeera paratha
- 250g whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 150ml water
- 3 tbsp ghee or melted butter