Clodagh's Cheddar Seeded Sunflower Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F /gas mark 6.
- Sift the white flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the wholemeal flour, followed by the grated cheddar cheese and with clean hands mix until combined. Make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- Then add in the grated cheddar and with clean hands mix until combined. Make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt and milk and slowly pour into the well of dried ingredients. Using a fork mix the flour into the yoghurt and milk. Make sure that there are no dry patches and that the dough is completely wet.
- Pat your hands with flour and shape the dough into one round. Place on a floured baking tray. Flour a large knife and cut a vertical cross and then a diagonal cross, which should create eight wedges (like cake slices). Make sure you only cut about two-thirds of the way through the dough. Using a pastry brush, brush the whole loaf with some of the milk and yogurt mixture, this will give a lovely golden colour to the bread once baked. Then sprinkle the seeds on each of the wedges. It should start to look like a flower.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 150°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for a further 20minutes. To test whether the loaf is cooked, tap with your knuckles; it should sound hollow.
- Once cooked, leave to cool on a cooling rack.
For the bread
- 12oz / 350g wholemeal flour
- 7oz / 200g plain /all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of / baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 12floz / 350ml milk
- 9floz / 250ml natural or Greek yogurt
- 4.5oz / 125g Cheddar, grated
For the topping - any of these!
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon linseeds
- ½ teaspoon sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds