Fried fish with gram flour and carom seeds
- Cut the fish into thick batons and marinade with ginger/garlic paste, deggi mirch, lemon juice, salt and carom seeds. Put to one side.
- Make a batter of gram flour and sparkling water, adding a pinch of salt and turmeric.
- Heat the oil in a fryer, coat the fish in the batter and deep fry until golden brown and crisp. Serve with mango chutney
- 300g/11oz fish (such as cod, cut into fingers without the skin)
- ½ tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp ginger/garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 150g gram flour
- Sparkling water
- A pinch turmeric powder
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Oil, for frying